Monday, January 21, 2013

Goode's Armadillo Palace

My husband and I have made three attempts to eat at this restaurant. They are closed on Sundays and Mondays.  The restaurant has been closed for private parties on our previous attempts.  I called ahead this time to be sure that they were open.

The first thing you will notice when you arrive is the big armadillo outside the restaurant.  This is a popular spot to have pictures taken.



 The inside of the restaurant is decorated with Western decor.  Some say it is even like a museum with the guns, snake skins and saddles.




 



The wall near our table was lined with wood.

Wood Wall

We started our meal with an appetizer.

Green Chile Empanadas

.
Green Chile Empandas: Small flaky pastry turnovers stuffed with slow simmered pork, Anaheim chiles and vegetables

We enjoyed the appetizer.  The dipping sauce was good.

Our side salad
The salad had sugar coated pecans which was a surprise.

Bacon Cheeseburger
I ordered a bacon cheeseburger. The bread was toasted.  The burger had a nice flavor.  It was supposed to come with fries, but the waitress thought I was substituting a salad for the fries.  I said that was fine, but when the bill arrived I was still charged full price for the salad.  I didn't say anything because I couldn't finish all my food anyway.  I do think the confusion came into play because they had several servers who waited on us.  One probably thought I wanted to substitute the salad for the fries and the one who rang up the bill didn't realize I didn't get fries.
Venison Chili
Jeff ordered the Venison Chili. The menu describes it this way: Made with venison from Broken Arrow Ranch out of Ingram, Texas. Y’all will find that there are no beans, chili powder or ground meat in this one! Served a la carte with grated cheese, diced onion and saltines.

Jeff said the chili was really good.  It is priced at $9.95 which seems a little pricey for a bowl this size though.

Country music is played in the restaurant.  On weekends, they do have live music and I imagine it gets pretty loud.  I am glad we ate before the live music began.

We enjoyed the food, but I doubt we will go back.  There are many more places to try in Houston.

Goode's Armadillo Palace on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment